In spring 1944, Germany launched the production of new armoured reconnaissance vehicles Aufklärungspanzer Sd.Kfz.140/1 on the basis of the well-proven chassis of the "Prague" Pz.Kpfw.38(t) light tank. The Sd.Kfz.140/1 reconnaissance tank was equipped with a rotating turret armed with the 2 cm KwK38 L/55 automatic cannon and the 7.92 mm MG42 machine gun. The top of the turret was covered with the wire mesh protecting the crew compartment against hand grenades. The baseline tank’s hull was also redesigned. The improved engine allowed the Sd.Kfz.140/1 to reach a maximum speed of 42 km/h. A total of 70 Sd.Kfz.140/1 recon tanks were made. They were used on both the Western and Eastern Fronts till the end of WWII.